ATTENTION cyclists, runners, walkers, and drivers!
The Federally Funded “Complete Streets” Program needs your support for the improvement of US1 in Juno Beach.
What is Complete Streets?
Complete Streets is a national strategy to design and operate roadways to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, walkers, runners, cyclists, AND motorists! It creates a safer environment by giving each user their own designated spaces to operate.
Highlights of the initiative specific to Juno Beach, Florida:
- The State is providing Juno Beach $5 million to improve our section of US1 at NO COST to residents or users.
- This project will improve SAFETY and TRAFFIC FLOW through the town of Juno Beach.
- It WILL NOT affect the existing 4 lanes of traffic or deceleration lanes.
- It WILL add pedestrian and bicycle lanes PLUS landscaping on both the north and south bound lanes of US1.
- It WILL add a safe, alternate route for serious cyclists to ride on US1, alleviating congestion on Ocean Drive caused by pedestrians, walkers, runners, and cyclists.
- This program will SAVE LIVES!
Why does Complete the Streets need public support?
In 2020, Juno Beach Town Council approved the Complete Streets initiative to enhance safety, traffic flow, and beautify US Highway 1. But recently, some Council members have expressed opposition to the initiative.
How can you support this initiative?
Simply voice your opinion that you believe the Complete the Streets initiative would be beneficial to the town of Juno Beach and for the safety of its residents and its visitors. Please email Caitlin Copeland at email@example.com.
Additional information in detail is available below.
“Complete Streets“? is a national strategy to design and operate roadways to enable safe access for all users, including pedestrians, walkers, runners, bicyclists, motorists and transit users of all ages and abilities. It creates a safer environment by giving them their own designated spaces to operate, which enables safe access for all users.
In 2020, the Juno Beach Town Council approved the Complete Streets initiative to enhance safety, slow traffic and beautify US Highway 1.
Recently, some Council members have expressed opposition to the initiative and opposition to holding a workshop on the project.
This is concerning because:
- The State is providing Juno Beach $5 million to improve our section of US1 so no cost to residents or users.
- This is a 5-year project and anytime within that time period the Town can decide they do not want to move forward with the program so why cancel this program now?
- Most importantly are the benefits to our Town from a safety standpoint.
- THIS PROGRAM WILL SAVE LIVES!
QUESTIONS – AND RESPONSE
- Will this project affect any other streets in Juno Beach? No, it’s only focused on our section of US1.
- Will this project take away car lanes or deceleration lanes? No, it won’t affect the existing 4 lanes (2 in each direction) that we already have, and it does not affect the Towns current deceleration lanes.
- Does the Town have enough space for this project? Yes, we have plenty of room on both the north and south bound lanes of US1. The project will add a beneficial component of pedestrian and bicycle lanes and landscaping while still fitting within the existing 120′ section.
- Who is funding this project? The US1 project is a State road and is controlled by FDOT. It is fully funded with $5 million that is allotted by the State per program.
BENEFITS TO THE TOWN OF JUNO BEACH
- Improved safety for everyone.
- Separated bike lanes for safer biking. (More Bikers will use US1 if it is safe)
- Separated pedestrian pathways.
- Better sidewalks along US1.
- Landscaping and beautification to enhance and slow traffic on US1 from Universe Boulevard to The Marinelife Center.
- Safety for drivers and bikers sharing the road.
- Allows serious bikers a safe route on US1 instead of Ocean Drive, keeping Ocean Drive safe for walkers, local bikers, and runners.
- Improves safety for pedestrians and motorists crossing US1.
Complete Streets has the potential to greatly benefit our town. Not only will it enhance the safety of our citizens on Ocean Drive and US1, IT will also help to reduce traffic speed by making the road more bicycle and pedestrian friendly and safe.